Liebster time! The Leibster Award is actually a set of questions you have to answer if you want to play along. I’m not sure who started it, but Kendra (Catholic All Year) tagged Anne (The Bazin Chronicles), and Anne tagged me, so here we are. When I’m done, I’ll get to make up some questions for my victims/awardees. I think that’s how it works. That’s what I’m doing, anyway.
1. What apps (aside from the defaults) have earned a coveted space on your homescreen?
This answer totally gives me up as a social-media addict. My home screen houses Instagram, gmail, Facebook, Bloglovin, Chrome, my calendar, You Tube, and my camera. Please, don’t judge. I’ve actually been 99% off Facebook during lent and I’m surprised how little I miss it.
2. Name the meal for which you always have the ingredients on hand?
Oh, good question!! We have a few old stand-by meals, but the most interesting is Picadillo. This dish is Cuban. I’m not Cuban, but a friend from DC is and once made it for me. It’s easy and delicious. It’s ground beef seasoned with garlic, onions, oregano, cooked then simmered in a simple sauce of chicken stock and tomato paste. Throw in a jar of Spanish olives and serve it over rice. We love it and leftovers are great.
3. What movie have you seen the most often?
It’s probably a tie between The Wizard of OZ, The Princess Bride, and The Sound of Music. My siblings and I watched those all theee time as kids and I’ve already spent a good deal of screen time indoctrinating my kids with old favorites.
4. What saint do you pray to the most?
Blessed Mother. 100 times over. I also ask for the intercession of St. Joseph, St. Monica and St. Francis pretty often.
5. Is where you live known for anything? Toasted Ravioli? World’s Largest Rocking Chair, that sort of thing.
We are known by Los Angeles and San Francisco as the armpit of California. I guess that, geographically, the statement is accurate, but I think it is a little mean spirited. The common thought around here is that big cities hate on Fresno because they secretly feel really guilty for stealing our water, plus we’re conservative, therefore “uneducated” and “backward.” If you are a kind person, you may know Fresno as:
- The Raisin Capital of the World
- The Bread Basket of the World
- The Gateway to Yosemite
Also, FYI, Fresno is the nation’s most agriculturally productive county in the nation. Wow, can you tell I have a chip on my shoulder about my hometown?
6. Favorite literary heroine and why?
This one is really, really tough. From childhood, Roald Dahl’s Matilda was my favorite. Now I feel torn strangely between Jane Eyre and Katniss Everdeen. I know. I’m hanging my head in shame as type.
7. What was your most endearing childhood trait?
Extreme pigeon-toedness, from which I still suffer. It’s no longer endearing, just awkward.
8. What’s on your pizza?
Convenient question, since I’m making this tonight! Feta, sun-dried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts. It’s so good I feel guilty eating it on a Friday during lent. That’s it! Enlightening? Boring? Eh, sorry. Here are some people I think will be pretty interesting to question:
To you three, I kindly bestow the honor of the Liebster Award. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to answer the following:
- Is there a name that you really wanted for one of your kids that your husband (or family) nixed?
- What’s your least favorite household chore?
- Why did you start blogging?
- Which TV show is your guilty pleasure?
- A song that you can’t help singing along to?
- What’s the job you’d do, if you could do anything?
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- Which blogger would you most want to meet IRL?
I’m linking up my 8 questions with Jen’s 7 Quick Takes. Take that last one as a bonus!